Don’t have time to read? Then give it a listen.
- Mothers are a better search engine than Google
Google is about 19 years old. So for about 19 years, Google has helped billions of people ‘find’ things. But truth be told, even Google’s searching skills will fall short to our mothers’. You know that old saying, right? Nothing is truly lost until your mother can’t find it. Wait, no, I think I just made that up.
“Ammu, please help me find my will to study!”
- When the solution to EVERYTHING is sleeping on time
I remember complaining a few days ago that I had a weird rash on my shoulder.
Me: Ammu, I have a red rash on my shoulder that’s spreading. WebMD says it could be cancer.
Mom: “রাতে ঠিক সময় মতো ঘুমালে সব ঠিক হয়ে যাবে”
This roughly means “Sleep on time every night; everything will be fine.” Thanks Ammu (I guess?!).
- When our mothers are obviously the Social Media Managers of Jaden Smith’s Twitter Profile:
You know that time when you tried fighting with your mother and they came up with the mother of all comebacks?
Speaking of comebacks, remember that one time you reached home SEVEN minutes late and your mother gave you mother of all dialogues:
“When you will have kids, then you’ll understand!”
- When it comes to mothers (read: women) ‘I don’t need help’ ALWAYS means: “Get over here ASAP and help me right now!”
- You are never going to wear that shoe/dress/punjabi/shirt/anything you buy, then why are you wasting your money?
Remember that time you went against your mother+sister+mother’s sister+mother’s sister’s friend and bought that red kameez you thought you loved and never wore again? Turns out, mothers are right about this one too. Sigh!
- When a shopkeeper says something costs 600 taka, it actually costs 200 taka
All mothers have mastered the art of bargaining on such a supreme level that it’s safe to say they’d give Dr. Strange a run for his money.
- Everything you eat at a restaurant can be cooked at home
Everytime we head out to eat, my mother really has just two reviews:
- I could have made this at home
- I don’t want to eat this. Who knows if they even wash their hands before making it?
- On that note, no food ever tastes as good as our mother’s food
No matter how many times you binge eat at Fish & Co, nothing ever tastes as good as your mom’s food. And every time you ask them for the recipe to cook chicken, they tell you exactly how they make it, yet it never tastes the way your mother’s food tastes.
- Your mother knows your ‘good’ friends better than you do
Remember the many times your mother could always spot the ‘not the goody two shoes’ friends before you even knew? Is it 6th sense? Is it 7th sense? It it…mom sense?
- Mothers are the best. Period.
No matter what you do, where you go or how old you get, if there’s anyone in the world who will never stop loving you, will never get tired of asking you if you had food, and will never stop asking you if you reached home safe, it’s your mother.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the incredible mothers who are the real life equivalents of Superwomen! <3
This article’s audiobook is read by Raisa Shamma.
Visit 10 Minute School’s website www.10minuteschool.com
If you want to unleash the writer in yourself and contribute for 10 Minute School, simply send your write-up to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org