- The celebration of Independence Day begins with ______.
- School children, scouts and girl guides take part in various displays in ______.
- What is the synonym of ‘illuminate’?
- On Independence Day, a National Parade is held ______.
- What does ‘fervour’ mean?
Read the passage carefully and answer to the questions given below:
26 March, our Independence Day, is the biggest state festival. The day is celebrated every year in the country with great enthusiasm and fervour. It is a national holiday. All offices,educational institutions,shops and factories remain closed on this day. The day begins with a 31 gun salute. Early in the morning the President and Prime Minister on behalf of the nation place floral wreaths at the National Mausoleum at Savar.Then other leaders, political parties,diplomats, social and cultural organisations,educational institutions and freedom fighters pay homage to the martyrs.People from all walks of life also go there in rallies and processions. There are many cultural programmes throughout the day,highlighting the heroic struggle and sacrifice in 1971. The country also witnesses a spectacular parade of defence forces, border guards, police, ansars and the VDP (Village Defence Party) at the National Parade Ground near the National Parliament. In Bangabandhu National Stadium, school children. Scouts and girl guides take part in various displays to entertain thousands of spectators.Educational institutions also organise their individual programmes. Sports meets and tournaments are also organised on the day, including the exciting boat race in river Buriganga. In the evening, all major public buildings are illuminated with colourful lights. Bangla Academy, Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy and other socio-cultural organisations hold cultural functions. Similar functions are also arranged in other places in the country.
What is our biggest state festival?
- In the evening, all major public buildings are illuminated with ______.
- The exciting boat race takes place in ______.
- What does ‘VDP’ stand for?
- The National Mausoleum is-